Tuesday, 11 November 2014

What are some areas of teaching and learning that you can lead in your school? #SAVMP Blog Post

Our first school mural of the year along with all our artists! 


The November question is What are some areas of teaching and learning that you can lead in your school?

Always good questions come from SAVMP!  What can I lead in my school?

That is a bit difficult to answer.  When you are new in a school I think the question becomes - what teaching and learning can I pick up from the staff.  At this point, this is a much more interesting question for me to reflect on.

What can I say so far?


  • our staff connects with its community - parents are in all the time to meet with teachers and discuss concerns - face to face beats the phone every time.
  • people here are all about empowerment.  This is a poor community, many parents speak a language other than French and English at home.  Our teachers challenge our students and they have very high expectations - this is so visible to me!  Our students rise to these expectations and they perform better as they get older on our standardized testing.
  • our children love our school.  There is a great deal of affection amongst the students and parents for our school.  This is, I believe, is because our staff provide a nurturing environment, a place where children can thrive and grow.
  • our staff are willing to experiment - we are introducing e-portfolios, new math and language on-line programs, a makerspace, a national campaign to transform our asphalt yard - the staff accept and embrace all of this and much much more.  They are for the kids and are willing to try new things all the time.
  • there is a strong spiritual sense about the school.  We celebrate together and we pray together.  Today, I witnessed one of the most moving Remembrance Day ceremonies I have ever seen.  The kids all know how important these moments are and treat these ceremonies with great respect.
People come to our school and they say it has a special spirit.  I am the newest member of the staff and I agree with them.  There is a special spirit here, it makes you want to do your best and contribute what you can to make the community even stronger.

What areas of teaching and learning can I lead?  Right now I can lead best by following the staff and learning the culture of our school.  I can learn to become part of a vital and caring culture.

Our junior students at the war memorial in Ottawa - a special day




2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, thanks for sharing your post. I am curious about what medium your teachers chose to use to create their e-portfolios with and their reasons for their decision. Have a great week,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. It is a brand new program that our school board is using - don't know much about it - our in-service is in December.

    ReplyDelete