|Our first school mural of the year along with all our artists!|
The November question is What are some areas of teaching and learning that you can lead in your school?
Always good questions come from SAVMP! What can I lead in my school?
That is a bit difficult to answer. When you are new in a school I think the question becomes - what teaching and learning can I pick up from the staff. At this point, this is a much more interesting question for me to reflect on.
What can I say so far?
- our staff connects with its community - parents are in all the time to meet with teachers and discuss concerns - face to face beats the phone every time.
- people here are all about empowerment. This is a poor community, many parents speak a language other than French and English at home. Our teachers challenge our students and they have very high expectations - this is so visible to me! Our students rise to these expectations and they perform better as they get older on our standardized testing.
- our children love our school. There is a great deal of affection amongst the students and parents for our school. This is, I believe, is because our staff provide a nurturing environment, a place where children can thrive and grow.
- our staff are willing to experiment - we are introducing e-portfolios, new math and language on-line programs, a makerspace, a national campaign to transform our asphalt yard - the staff accept and embrace all of this and much much more. They are for the kids and are willing to try new things all the time.
- there is a strong spiritual sense about the school. We celebrate together and we pray together. Today, I witnessed one of the most moving Remembrance Day ceremonies I have ever seen. The kids all know how important these moments are and treat these ceremonies with great respect.
People come to our school and they say it has a special spirit. I am the newest member of the staff and I agree with them. There is a special spirit here, it makes you want to do your best and contribute what you can to make the community even stronger.
What areas of teaching and learning can I lead? Right now I can lead best by following the staff and learning the culture of our school. I can learn to become part of a vital and caring culture.
|Our junior students at the war memorial in Ottawa - a special day|