Sunday, 13 July 2014

What actions can you take to become a connected leader?



I watched this video today made by Mark Carbone and Donna Fry, two educators who have been doing a great deal of interesting work trying to connect learners in Ontario.

If you are following their work, you will be aware of their MOOC - Ontario School and System Leaders Edtech.

I have been doing my best to follow their blog posts and contribute where possible.

Now that we are off and starting to regenerate for another school year, it is a good time to take a look at the OSSEMOOC blog

Mark has one line in the video that has me thinking and wondering about the future - 'The smartest person in the room is the room.'  We need to move to a learning model for educational leaders that puts the emphasis on connecting with others to get new ideas.

Being a connected learner is more important than ever.  This comes out very clearly in the TED Talk above by Donna and Mark.  I think our teachers are starting to do this, we have some great educators in our board who are very well connected to a variety of learning communities.

However, I am concerned about our administrators.  Our attempts at connecting to the wider community are sporadic at best.  We still meet monthly to listen to one speaker with one idea.  We do not spend time connecting to other administrators in our board or with administrators in other jurisdictions.

My hope for the future is that there will be a shift for all of us to become a connected learning community.  People are doing this on their own, but I think this should be facilitated by the school board as well.

In the meantime, I will continue to work on connecting to other learners and I will of course continue to be an active participant in the OSSEMOOC.

No comments:

Post a Comment