Saturday, 5 April 2014

Week 27: Little Things and School Culture #savmp Apr 1


I think a school leader is doing really well if they can discern what the school culture is in such a short period of time.  I think it is best to spend as much time as necessary to figure out the school culture.  Then, once you had a good idea what the culture looks like you can figure out how you fit into this culture.  Finally, you can start to reflect on how you can contribute to making a lasting impact on this culture.

I have worked in lots of schools.  I find it really interesting that even as people move on the culture remains essentially the same.  It is not something that I find people talk about very much.  I have worked at schools that are very inclusive and progressive.  Obviously, not all schools share this characteristic.  When we do try to change the culture of a school can we do more than make superficial changes?

If you work carefully and you truly respect the culture of the school I think you can start making a positive contribution.  I am not sure how long this takes, I am sure it varies from school to school.

Can I contribute to affecting the culture of a school?  I'm not sure. I hope so. I think you would have to ask the students, parents and staff of our school.  I do my best and I leave it up to the community to discern if one individual can really make a change.

It would be really interesting to see how other people answer this question.  I am really interested in understanding the culture of the schools I work in.  I would like to know how others understand their school culture and what they feel is their role within this culture.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment