Sunday, 23 March 2014

Communication as a Leader #SAVMP

Cover of "Good to Great: Why Some Compani...
Cover via Amazon
“A primary task in taking a company [read: school or school system] from good to great is to create a culture wherein people have a tremendous opportunity to be heard and, ultimately, for the truth to be heard.” (2001, p. 88)
Jim Collins,  Good to Great,
Is there something that you can share with your group that didn’t go as expected, because of a communication miscue? or a success?
#SAVMP Blog - March 2
It has been a few weeks since I have written a response to the SAVMP blog - this is the March 2 entry, but better late than never, especially when there is an interesting question.

I have something to share - I still really appreciate the sessions we have had coming out of the survey you took part in at the beginning of the new year.  You answered frankly a series of questions that we were later able to use as our main discussion piece for two staff meetings.

I am still trying to digest this information.  One general comment sticks with me.  It has to do with the coordination of monthly assemblies, our process for selecting themes and our 'Challenge Cup'.

Someone wrote that I should pick the theme and they would be happy to follow what was presented to the students.

First, I thought that this is the job of the entire school community but now I think the comment rings true.  I am writing to you all to say I agree, I do see that I have a central role in choosing the themes we are going to follow as a school community.

My thinking has been influenced by a recent district review I took part in.  At this school, all the teachers focused on understanding and putting into practice the Catholic Graduate Expectations.  The CGEs can easily linked to Catholic Social Teaching and there are lots of amazing links to teaching resources covering the major themes in CST.

It was great to see a school where the themes of the CGEs were apparent throughout the school.
The more I do this work, the more I believe that a school needs a common theme to bring everyone together.

We have worked with Elia Saikaly and Finding Life, we have developed our own program through the Challenge Cup.  We have explored Catholic Social Teaching and the  Rights Respecting Schools program.

I can say we have really worked hard to keep to a focus on themes coming out of these programs.  We do seem to be grounding out a bit now, everyone is doing their best, but you all have so many things you need to focus on day to day.  That is the way it should be.  As a school leader, one of our responsibilities should always be to keep the monthly themes current and relevant.
For this reason, I am very happy to work more on keeping a focus on themes, now coming out of the CGEs.  This month, we are focusing on being a collaborative contributor.  In terms that will work better for our students, we can say that we are focusing on contributing and being a team player:

I AM A TEAM PLAYER!
  • I co-operate with others in all that I do
  • I value everyone's work
  • I respect and listen to others
  • I think of others before myself
  • I follow rules of fair playI work hard in school so that I can build my community and make it a better place

This is why I created this video now on Youtube - I hope this helps to get us started.





Thanks for your clear communication, your ideas have really had an impact on our school this year. My hope for all of us is that we keep on communicating always to improve the educational experience for our students!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment