Sunday, 2 February 2014

On-line Portfolios Week #21 SAVMP - where can I see your powerful work?

Image representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...
Image via CrunchBase
”it is no longer enough to do powerful work if no one sees it”.
 Chris Lehmann 

This is a really important blog post by George Couros and I hope people have a chance to take a look at it. More and more, we are developing on-line portfolios, just by putting out our twitter feeds, our blogs and our web sites. When you gather all this material together, it gives a much more effective and true picture of your work than a resume or a paper portfolio can.

When I do interviews, I glance at the candidate's resume - maybe for a minute or two at best. What I am much more interested in is the work that they have done and how this work is displayed. I know a lot about some of the teachers in our board simply because I follow their blogs and twitter and Google + feeds. These are not teachers I work with, but I am very aware of their work through their on-line portfolio.

I agree with George - our on-line portfolios are a great way to showcase what we are doing and learn new things. My learning community now is mainly with people outside of my own board. Some people I read every day, most of these people I have never met. I learn so much more from them than I do from the traditional workshop. Also, you never know who you might connect with and what opportunities might present themselves.

My hope for the teachers I work with is that they will do more of this kind of work. They are a very talented, committed group of people, but they are not at the point where they share a great deal of the great work that they do. Right now, I am trying to do this for them - I have a blog where I feature the work they are doing in their triads (three small schools working together). In essence, I am trying to develop a 'collective portfolio' for these talented individuals. It takes a lot of time, but it is really worth it. Someone, somewhere has to see the great work that they are doing! You can find this online portfolio here.

My hope is that the teacher triads will invite me to their inquiries this term so that I can write up some posts that highlight the work that they are doing. I am really happy to do this for them - the problem for teachers is that developing the kind of on-line portfolios George is writing about is that it takes lots of time.

I am a principal - I have the time for this. Generally, I think it is really hard for teachers to do this - they are too busy moving on to the next task. They do terrific work every day and I am so thankful to work with the teachers in our triad - they are certainly breaking new ground! My hope for all of them is that someone will some day recognize the work that they are doing as truly innovative.

I find it amazing that they continue to work on without much recognition for what they are doing - I hope the blog will help them all in some way.

Another great on-line portfolio tool that I find really helpful is about.me I have developed a short on-line portfolio that is linked to my Twitter page - easy to do, just one more way of getting yourself out there

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I agree having eprotfolios for my students have guided my judgement for report cards. It was easy to reflect on the accomplishments and listening to students thinking about their process. I enjoy reading their comments and reflections as it is not just an accumulation of final products, it tracks their thinking and it also gives me a professional view on how they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    This is a great post by you!

    I agree with you and George that our online portfolio is really a collection of who we are digitally. I recently attended a week long #edtech conference, and I saw some great examples of this in action.

    I also agree that I am learning from my PLN much more than anyone in my face-to-face professional developments.

    I love your quote: "My hope for the teachers I work with is that they will do more of this kind of work. They are a very talented, committed group of people, but they are not at the point where they share a great deal of the great work that they do."

    I have the same hope for my faculty. They are overburdened with much, as I am. However, I saw a great quote at FETC from Eric Sheninger's presentation: "I don't find the time to learn and get better, I make the time to learn and get better."

    Thanks for sharing the about.me site. I LOVE that! Here is one that is similar that a Google Educator shared at FETC, and I quickly made my own: www.vizify.com/enrjtk-educatr

    Thanks for a great post, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol. I have set up a vizify profile. Would really like to hear more about the conference you attended. Sounds really interesting. Just came out with another SAVMP post. Trying my best to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    Wow. I just saw your reply today. I guess I need to select the option for being notified about comments in response to my comments. I am such a newbie at this "connecting business."

    I am working on finishing up my Online Portfolio response today, but I did post my FETC entry. It is located at:

    http://moving2thefrontoftheline.blogspot.com/2014/02/musings-from-florida-educational.html

    The experience was very motivating, and I learned a great deal. I got my #edtech fire burning again. Sometimes I feel like the responsibilities of the job crowd out my personal interests, and I continue to search for balance.

    I am hoping this summer will allow me to catch up on several areas of development. I want to create the About.me pages you referenced and expand my BLOG. Right now, though, I just try to keep up.

    ReplyDelete