Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Week # 10 Time Management #SAVMP

The challenge this week is to write about time management:

If it is important (priority), you will make time for it.
You should never look at doing more, but doing things better.
For every thing you are willing to “add” to your plate, you need to take something off.

All good advice, but I think this is hardly practiced, certainly not by me.  Having said that i have another quote to add:

"This moment is the perfect teacher"
Pema Chodron

In this post, I will only speak for myself.  I don't think I am very good at time management.  I measure this by the amount of time I take up catching up on insignificant e-mail sometimes late into the night.  I am able to fool myself that I am being an effective manager when in truth, nothing is further from the truth.

All is not lost however.  Pema Chodron's teaching is very important to me.  We can learn from the present moment.  If I am not happy about the way I manage time I can change it - nothing is holding me back except myself.

The best use of my time at school comes from talking to parents teachers and students.  This does not mean that I should push all that paperwork to the end of the day or do it all from home.  I have a family and they deserve my time and attention as much (actually more) than the school does.

I plan to remain as an administrator for years to come.  The best thing I can work on now is how I manage my time, how can I be more present to the people I encounter.  That will make me a more effective educator, answering every e-mail within 24 hours will not.

One goal I have for myself this year is to become more reflective, more considerate of taking the time to develop meaningful relationships and less concerned about all the demands that are put on me as an administrator.

In this sense, I will try to do what George challenges us to do - If it is important (priority), you will make time for it.

What are my priorities?

Family first, the school community (people) second, paperwork third.

I am not there yet, but this moment is the perfect teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is definitely one of my favorite posts you have listed. You seem to have such a genuine and earnest persona. :O)

    I am a really good time manager, and efficiency is one of my hobbies. My issue is balance. I enjoy my work so much that I often get lost in it, and I allow my work self to outweigh my other selves.

    My priorities are similar: Family, Career, Spiritual, Physical--yet it is my spiritual and physical goals that often go unmet.

    Thanks for sharing, Paul.

    Trying to catch back up to you. :O)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete